

March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
Colorectal cancer -- cancer of the colon or rectum -- is a disease that affects both men and women and is preventable nearly 90 percent of the time. Starting at age 50, men at women at average risk for the disease should get screened. Those with increased risk, should be screened even earlier.
i went friday for my first colonoscopy.....
and while the prep the day before was not enjoyable,
it was tolerable.....
and as far as the procedure went.....
the worst part was not being able to drink coffee that morning!
i didn't even know it happened until i was awake and it was over,
and then i was so hungry that we went to wendy's and then to target for Easter stuff
bryan had a painful attack of "something" last may and was told it was a urinary tract infection.
he went in for a routine colonoscopy in june, and the dr. said it was one of the worst cases of diverticulitis he had seen.
he had a resection last october......and it wasn't fun!
(it isn't cancer only that the screening is for)
so, if you are 50 or older and haven't already.....
get your screening done
or if you are at an increased risk
get it done
(click on any of the butt-ons above for more info)


7 comments:
We are so fortunate to live in a time where there is screening available. Sometimes I feel ill prepared for growing older...I am learning more and more though thanks to friends who are open enough to share their experiences.
Is there anything else I need to brace myself for before I turn 50?
(I still have a few years to go, but I am quickly realizing how fast those years go!)
I'm glad everything turned out well for Bryan, I know there are always those underlying concerns that we let get the better of us, so that was probably a scary time for your family. Be sure to let us know about your results and meanwhile enjoy your coffee!
Have a wonderful day ~
I know how they do those test and they would have to knock me out good!! There's a Dr. at work who specialize's in that, has plates on his car read's "Butts R Mn" I told him your sick, he asked are you going to get the test, my responce to him"O heck no, your behind is an exit, not an entrance" he thought I was crazy for telling him that. I've been told diverticulitis is very painful. Hope Bryan is well, and I'll be praying for you. Hope you have a great day...Hug's Annette
Well, this is not a topic to talk about over the dinner table, but I agree it's necessary and soooo important. I did mine second one last year. I won't have to have another for five years thank goodness.
Glad Bryan is okay and hope everything turns out well for you too.
You deserve a hug.... HUG, phyllis
my results were just fine.....no problems! and bryan is doing great now....took a good couple of months before he was back to himself!
I'm surprised you couldn't have black coffee? I was told I could drink anything I can see through. I'm glad your report was good.
HOORAY for healthy Butts!!
:O)
Mandy
I am so glad that you posted this and I appreciate your candor. I am suppose to have my first screening this year, and I am not looking forward to it, but I know it is something that I must do. Thank you for reminding us all to take care of ourselves. : )
VB
Post a Comment