i said: "do you want a piece of candy?"
he said: "yes, nonnie"
and proceeds to choose one of the wrapped chocolate eggs
(which he enjoyed immensely)
he said: "can i have 'nother one, nonnie?"
he said: "can i have 'nother one, nonnie?"
i said: "you have to ask your mommy"
he said "no, i want to ask YOU nonnie!"
smiling.....
his mommy let him have another piece of candy




11 comments:
Down through the years it has always been easier to ask our grandmas for something instead of our mommies. Mommies are governed by trying to be a good mommy and grandmas are governed by trying to be a good grandma....and believe it or not there is a vast difference. I idolized my grandma Lily Lindley and she idolized me. when my heart hurt I always went to her because she always understood but never undermined my own Mom. Grandma's know how to do that. My Grandma has been dead since 1957 but as long as I live I will never forget her and her love for me. Grandmas make an indelible imprint on our hearts. Asher will never forget his "Nonnie" and I have never forgotten my "grandma". Several years ago I wrote a short story about my grandma. I poured my heart and feelings into that story and it won second prize in a short story contest sponsored by the Arizons Agency On Aging. It was published in hardback and sold for $25/copy. It was my poor and pitiful tribute to a great lady who still causes me to tear up when I think of her. This sweet lady was also the brave lady that strapped her first born baby onto her back and rode horseback alone across the Texas plains to her Father's side when he was thrown from his horse and killed. The same lady who during the depression when she had no money made us candy from baked potatoes and mailed it to us. The same lady who when there was no flour made bread by cooking down pinto beans into a paste and baking it in loaves. It tasted terrible but it sustained us. The same lady who was a Christian and turned all the dinner plates upside down at the table before grace was said and who took the insult of her cocky youngest grown son who always said "Well, it looks like we have to talk to our plates again!" She hated that and scolded him everytime but never loved him any the less. Grandmas are a special creation of God. Mine was my best friend and at almost 80 I still love her dearly.
I know how Asher feels about his Nonnie....I've been there. GG
I love that story Kimberly. I can see the both of you hovering over the bowl of candy. gg is right, there is a place in all our hearts that only a granmother can fill.
Enjoy that precious one. I know you do. Who would have ever thought a little one could open our hearts so wide. :)
Phyllis
I can just see his innocent little eyes saying that to you. The two of you do have a very special relationship. What amazing memories. Enjoy your day!
Ok, why am I always crying??
hearts melting...little ones have the corner market on that one don't they? I'm glad his mommy let him have another piece of candy. I probably would have gave him the whole bowl...
wishing you more sweet moments like this in your day ~
Joni
He is a smart little boy! Love him to pieces!
my eyes are filled with tears too jme. what a beautiful story, gramps...i wish i could have met her. and what a smart little whipper-snapper that boy is! he sure knows his way into some delicious second helpings!
That little boy sure has a sweet soul that leaves a Big impression on the heart.
Side Note: gg, you are a Wonderful writer. I have read many comments you have made on varies blogs. I love to read your thoughts. They provoke so much thought and laughter! Have you ever considered starting a blog of your own?
~ Mandy
beautiful story, Dad.....thanks for sharing it!
sweet storey....my daughter and my mom are EXTREAMLY close, I was never close to my grandmother, but I loved her and her blue bottle hair(thats what I called it, it was the dye in the bottle, Fancey Full?) I like Joni would have given the sweet child the whole container, my grandma had a chicken container like your but it was green, grandmothers play a very important part in our lives, they are historey.....enjoy them and your evening. Hug's Annette
What your mom said to you "No you can't have ice cream before your dinner!"
What your mom says to your child "one scoop or two, my darling"
Your grandkids are all amazing and lucky to have you!
Post a Comment