when we lived in farmington, new mexcio (1989-1995)
a young friend of the family gave us a tape of music. the music was Enya (who i had never heard at that time)
and a song "Prayer of the Children", a song he said his uncle helped record.
i absolutely loved this tape and played it over and over everyday. that tape has been misplaced, and this song lost for years now.
today brittni called and asked me to check a friend's blog and tell her where she had heard this song, and there it was......THAT song "Prayer of the Children"....it was jessamyn that actually remembered the details of how we came to have it.
it was, to me, like being reunited with an old friend and brought tears listening to it again. however, since it had images added to it, i looked up the story behind it and here it is:
Kurt Bestor ( who wrote the music and the words) served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Serbia during the 1970s. This song was written years later when the Yugoslav wars broke out in the early 1990s as a tribute to the country's children. Meridian Magazine described it this way:
Later when war broke out, and Yugoslavia splintered into warring factions with Serbs, Croatians and Bosnians hating and butchering each other, Kurt's heart was aching. What came to him--haunted him--were the faces of the children he had known. "Those children didn't hate anybody," he said. "They didn't care about who owned the land, or who had the power or the money. These are adult neuroses. They just wanted to have a mom and dad and a place to play."
after knowing the meaning......and seeing the images.....
it will be beautiful, but i will hear it differently


8 comments:
oh, I miss Paul...and this song...I've been emotional all night, but this song made the tears poor from my eyes. And there's a ache left in my heart. I don't understand the world sometimes. Why can't we all just love each other? Why does it have to be that hard?
seriously! As I watch the video it really puts my negativity about things that happen in my life into perspective. I can't even imagine what these poor little children go through or what their daily life is like! Wow! I do love this song.
What a beautiful yet haunting song. It brought tears to my eyes. The words can fit for so many children out in the world. Thank you for sharing it.
absoultly a georgus song with so much truth to it, why do have so much hate in the world today? I love the song on my blog from John Lennon, "Imagine" the word's are so true in that one as well, it saddens me so much to know their all children all over the world with out parents, happiness in their life's,when all they want is to have someone to love them, and kiss them good night.
very, very sobering...and indeed it does put many things into perspective. We are so blessed to know what love feels like, I just wish we could package it up and send it on...just think of how different the world might be if love reigned...
thanks for sharing such a touching song ~
Wow! So much power in this song and these images. I cannot even imagine the life these little kids live every day and how different their world would be without such violence, greed and pride.
I keep listening to this song too! It is really...incredibly powerful.
All of the details came forward to me when I heard it on Kacy's blog...I totally remember our house being filled up with this music all of the time. I loved it.
The magic of how children see the world. If only all of us could remember what it was like to see it that way in the first place...
Thanks so much for sharing this. I moved me .
Post a Comment