Wednesday, February 27, 2008

wellness wednesday

did you know that
Slow Down Week was January 13-19, 2008?
i was in a rush and missed it!

yesterday, i was reading nestled in the singing woods blog, and found a reference to a magazine "Small Town Living, a simpler life in small town america"
that sounds so wonderful to me.....

we have lived is several small towns throughout our marriage
and i miss it.
i miss the community spirit, knowing neighbors,
being aware of what was happening in our town
and having
space and time to enjoy the day

we were raising five children at the time, and life did not seem so complicated
days weren't filled with the need to rush everywhere and do everything
fight so much traffic and be surrounded by so many people
we had time to ...just be......
yes, there were hectic days, but it was hectic at a slower pace and in a different way.

i realize that since we live in a very fast paced, crowded city
and its pace is just getting faster with every day,
my desire for slowing down and enjoying the treasures around me
starts with me....

i want to try and simplify
do one thing at a time
take a walk
be creative
sit quietly and listen
take little trips that show God's creation where we live
breathe
dig in the dirt
listen to music
take a day at a time
get up earlier
appreciate the beauty around me
sit and have a conversation

"There is more to life
than increasing its speed"
Ghandi

11 comments:

Annette said...

my mom and I where talking about this very same topic just a few days ago, how a town we lived in once was small "country" feel to it, is now grown, and traffic is like Nascar, but the one thing I still Im slow on is talking to our Lord, I dont like it when I have to stop, and I AM very slow at getting out of bed as well!!!

Joni said...

words that express EXACTLY what is on my heart today...happy to have a friend who shares my journey/sentiment.

Have an enjoyable, slow-paced day filled with simplicity and appreciation ~ there's always a little patch of quiet somewhere...

Joni

jessamyn said...

I love that we grew up in small towns, mom. I have that same desire to raise my own children in that type of environment. I suppose that no matter where we live it can be cultivated in our hearts and minds...and that is what makes the most difference!

Jamie said...

Why can't we all just move??? Fairhaven anyone??

Brittni said...

As long as we all go! "All for one and one for all!!"

SweetAnnee said...

Wonderful wonderful words..
Life FLIES by and we miss so much.

some of my fave things
Dig in the Dirt
Listen to music
Laugh with friends
get up early

I miss slow down week too dear Kim, but
I am taking the time to enjoy.
much love to you, Deena

Debbie said...

I love the sentiments in this post. Any change and any feeling does start with us. It is a good reminder that what is important is not being busy, but enjoying each day to the fullest. And NO....all you guys can not move! :)

Vonda said...

Yesterday, I sawed off a couple of dead limbs from my tree and then I desided it took too much energy! After visiting a new grocery store with my friend, I sat down and did nothing! At days end I felt sooo guilty!! Where in the world is Fairhaven? Maybe I wouldn't have to feel guilty there??

kimberly said...

fairhaven, washington vonda jean, and NO, you would not feel guilty there! :)

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

I live in a small town now and I have to agree, living in a small town is the best. When I go to Atlanta I come home frazzled.

I loved this post. Thanks so much for the peaceful after lunch break.

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I love that picture! It is so wonderful. I would love to have a cottage in the woods to go to like this. Just to sit and think and write. Observe nature.. love nita