Monday, February 25, 2008

tuesday's treasures

i am a plate collector
i don't remember the actual year i started my collection
but it was in the late 70's
and
i DO remember my very first plate


we were at a mall here in phoenix, and they were having a plate show
i was just browsing
and
when i saw this plate....i just fell in love with it.
my sweet husband bought it for me..


and that was the beginning

i don't buy many anymore, but my dad continues to add to my collection

our home is filled with these plates, and sometimes i need to remind myself to stop and really look at them and appreciate all the beautiful detail and design of each one....and to enjoy all the memories

13 comments:

Vonda said...

That particular plate IS really beautiful!! I don't recall seeing it before...it must be in a bedroom?
I was thinking about something I have. It's not a thing of beauty but it is something that I've had every since I was about 14 or 15 years old. My oldest brother sent me a birthday card and enclosed was this minature manicure set in a little purse about 3 inches long and 1-1/2 inches deep. I was thinking how amazing it was that I still have it and still use it quite often - since its been over 50 years ago. I bet my brother doesn't even remember it?

Annette said...

it's absoultly beautiful, I cna see why you fill in love with it...I love the new picture of you. I so love the ocean, it's so calming. Love, Nettie

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I too am a plate collector. That is a wonderful plate your husband got you. So sweet. I love your music list, I can't remember if I told you that. Have a great week dear Nonnie. love nita

Anonymous said...

I remember the day you came home with this plate, Kim, and I really liked it. I believe it is pewter, isn't it? Anyway, I was so impressed with your joy in your purchase I decided that would be something I could gift you with over the years.....so I have! But it started the plate collecting bug in me too. I love plates. I just got up from the computer and counted the number of plates I have on my walls. I have 84 full size plates on my walls plus 41 miniature plates hanging up on my walls. They are all beautiful. Plates are no longer plentiful and even difficult to find unless you go to antique stores. This Christmas was the first Christmas I could not give you a plate, Kim. The reknown plate artist, Sandra Koch, has put out a Christmas plate each year for several years and I have bought each one for you. But this year she did not create one and I was disappointed and so were you when there was not one under your tree.

Well, as the old saying goes, "All good things have to come to an end." I still to this day enjoy coming to your house and seeing all your plates. Each one brings back a pleasant memory. But, just like Vonda wrote in this blog, I have not noticed this pewter plate on your walls. Perhaps it is in your bedroom as Vonda surmised. It seems that plate collectors have fallen out of favor now which is too bad. I used to buy most of them from BRADFORD EXCHANGE. I am still on their mailing list but they no longer issue plates...they've gone more to knicknacks and ornaments. Too Bad. Well, we've created lots of good memories with our beloved plates, haven't we? Love, DAD

SweetAnnee said...

Tis a lovely plate
and not like
any I've seen before!!

Hope today is filled with joy
deena

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

From one plate collector to another, BRAVA!

I was late getting my treasure up today. Guess what? It's plates!

Hugs,

Cory said...

I know I have seen this somewhere in the house but I can't remember where! Perfect for you, momma and daughter :)

Joni said...

This is a beautiful plate depicting mother and daughter. I also have collected a few plates over the years and from time to time when I want to change things up a bit I will take them out and appreciate them all over again. Is this plate really pewter? Very interesting...just love the detail...great treasure Kim!
Hope your day thus far has been a good one ~
Joni

SweetAnnee said...

Kim..you rock and if that is you in the banner
you are gorgeous too!!
love ya girl..Deena

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is her in the banner and she IS gorgeous I know cuz I'm her DAD! GG

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie said...

Mom ~ this plate has always been a part of our home. Seeing it brings back a lot of memories! :)
I think I even remember being with you when you fell in love with it! :)I think it's beautiful too!
Thanks for sharing ~
Love you!

Brittni said...

I didn't realize that dad was the one who bought you your first plate. I always thought it was Grandpa. How sweet! Love you.