Monday, January 7, 2008

tuesday's treasures

it was suggested by just joni that we have a day to share some of the treasured "things" that have captured our heartstrings....and to tell the story behind them, in the spirit of getting to know a little about one another. i thought it would be fun....my only problem being.....i pretty much think everything i have is a treasure!
treasure: any possession that is highly valued by its owner; "the children returned from the seashore with their treasured shells" (i soooo understand that!)
prize: hold dear; "i prize these old photographs" (AND that one)
to care for: be fond of, be attached to (everything!)
also: a person esteemed as rare or precious (again...i sooooo relate to that)
so....i am not sure that my treasures will be like anyone elses. they may not have much of a history or even have an interesting story......but i will try and explain why i value, hold dear and am attached to them...why they are precious to me.
this is my first piece of found beach glass. (hasn't helped that we live in the desert!)
i have read about beach glass, looked at pictures of beach glass, bought beach glass.....but i have never had the experience of finding beach glass.....until this summer. we took a vacation to the san juan islands in washington state. after renting bikes one morning, we took them on the ferry to lopez island for a bike ride. we rode down to one of the beaches, and lo and behold, there it was......waiting just for me! to say i was excited would be putting it mildly. it's like one of those "10,000 things you need to do before you leave this earth" type of thing for me. so i tucked it into my little bike bag and away we went. we ferried back to friday harbor and turned our bikes in just before closing time and headed back to our bed and breakfast. as i was going over the days events, i remembered my sweet find, and went to admire it again only to find it wasn't among my bike bag possessions. i panicked! just.ask.my.husband.
the next thing i know, we are running (literally) to the bike shop (several blocks away). i go to the back, bryan goes to the front and actually finds our gentleman still there. he must have thought i was crazy when i explained why we were there after closing. however, he let us go through all the bike bags.......and there it was......waiting just for me.....again!

5 comments:

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

Loved your "treasures" story! I don't have any sea glass, but you are making me want some to hold and make memories of finding. I bet as you hold the glass you wonder what adventures it has had. If the glass could talk, I bet it's glad to be in your care!

Much love to you, Phyllis

Brittni said...

I laugh every time I hear this story because I can totally picture you through the whole thing. I am happy that you found this little treasure, I know how happy it makes you!

Joni said...

I absolutely love this story. It always seems like treasures found on the beach were truly meant for just us. I think I still have every seashell I have ever found!...and not to worry about your treasures being different, I think some of the stuff I end up sharing will be quite simple. It's the stories we share that are fun or thought provoking and I can really picture myself in your shoes wanting to get back that piece of glass...I'm kind of laughing to myself knowing that this would have been one of those Lucille Ball moments for me. Thank you so much for sharing your treasure...I look forward to more.

Joni

cassie said...

this is my first time hearing the story, so i am glad you posted it! what a find and what a treasure!

Vonda said...

I had never heard of beach glass until you mentioned it in your vacation blog. Like Brittni, I could envision you in a state of panic...just like me when I lose my credit card!!