say hello to chatty cathy
she was given to me by a grandmotherly women we called nana eck
i don't remember exactly how old i was
(maybe 6-8)
but young enough to be thrilled and in love
for the next year, it seemed everywhere i went, adults and children too would say, "you look just like chatty cathy"
(had they known me, they would know i talked just as much also)
i knew our friendship was meant to be
she doesn't "chat" anymore
but my memories of her, her voice and playing with her
are as clear as if it was yesterday
here is an old commercial......
wouldn't that make every little girl's heart love her!



10 comments:
Wonderful treasure! My daughter-in-law reminds me of Chatty Cathy... not so much the chatty part, but because she looks like CC. :)
I remember Chatty Cathy well and you too...a whole lot of resemblance!! I also remember you were born with very dark hair and then the next time I saw you..I came to Phoenix from Albuquerque...and you were about one year old..you waddled into the room with very blond hair with black tips and a very deep voice that growled like a bear! You were so funny!
I remember Chatty Cathy!...but my favorite was the Tumblelina? doll. Not quite sure of the spelling there. Isn't it fun to take out old toys and things and reminisce the days when they were such a part of who we were. I have an old doll that my grandmother gave to me (and it was old then), It had gone missing for a few years and resurfaced without her fancy clothes and missing a finger. My cousin had her and upon a visit to her house I reclaimed the doll with tears in my eyes.
I very much remember this doll being in your hope chest, and very much wanting to play with it too, but knowing it was most definitely "off limits". :) I'm glad you made it off limits to your 5 hooligan children so that you have it to post about today. :)
Love you!
My goodness Kimberly, how did you ever keep her to look so perfect. She looks brand new still. I remember when Nana Eck gave her to you. You were the epitome of Chatty Cathy and you talked an awfully lot and nobody had to pull your string either! It is so good to see Chatty Cathy again and bring back all of those memories of when you were one of the cutest little girls that ever graced this earth. Love, Your Dad
I have to mention another of my "Tuesday Treasures" . Many years ago when Cory was just a little girl she crafted a desert tortoise for me from plaster of paris. At the time I raised desert tortoises and all the grandkids were mesmerized by them. The tortoise she made with her own little hands is painted green and has a slit in the top of its shell in order to slide coins in because, you see, this tortoise is a bank. Its 4 legs are splayed out in different directions and its lips are bright red just like it carried its own tube of Revlon. Two legs have been broken off and reglued to their original position. It is crammed to the full extent with coins. And there those coins will remain because there is no way to get them out. And that is the way they will remain as long as I am alive. On its belly Cory inscribed in her childish print the names of the 3 desert tortoises I owned at that time. She printed Republic & Gazette and Ferdugo. She got it all correct except Ferdugo was really Verdugo but I changed its name to Ferdugo after that. Then she signed her name in childish print as Cory. I don't know which name she assigned to this tortoise so I just call it Ferdugo Republic & Gazette. For years it resided on the bookcase in my bedroom and then it seemed to find its preferred spot on top of my chest of drawers (which by the way, when Cory's Mom left home and moved to Oregon she wrote us a letter about a piece of furniture she had and she refered to as a "chester drawers". We were relieved to find out it was not the name of her new boyfriend!! Those little hands that fashioned this treasure of mine have now grown large enough to bathe, feed, dress and hold the hand of her son, who is Brody Matthew Decker. He is another one of my treasures, oh not a Tuesday treasure but a 365 day Treasure. Thank you Cory for those 2 treasures...and you have been one of my treasures too for almost 30 years!! Love, Grandpa
I wanted a Chatty Cathy as a girl..
never got one, my parents couldn't
afford her..
I have one NOW!!
lol
she's so SWEET
deena
I remember this doll being off limits also! It is funny because she does look like you when you were little! Glad to see her again you better hide her good so all the little ones don't get to her!
I love it!!!! I have a doll that I loved as a cchild that looks like it was put through the ringer. How on EARTH di dyou keep her looking so wonderful?
I just love reading your blog, my friend. You alway have the best pictures too!
fun, fun, fun. I remember "Chatty Cathy" never had one. I never hung on to any of my old toy's, but I have hung to few thing's of my children, and I have an old piece that belonged to my husband.
Post a Comment