
i am from the sun drenched desert, with warm summer rain,
and the smell of newly mowed grass,
from walking barefoot on hot asphalt streets,
riding on rope swings over the canal, and summer days spent in the water
i am from a brick house, filled with sunlight,
and a purple room where music put me to sleep at night,
and filled the beginning of a new day.
where clothespins held clothes drying in the sun
and fruit compotes waited in the kitchen before school
and girls weren't allowed to mow the lawn
i am from the rose, caster bean tree, mint,
the apricot tree
from fig jam, hibiscus and pomegranates
i am from camping in tents, reaching out to touch the clouds
i am from camping in tents, reaching out to touch the clouds
vacations at the beach
and honey and vinegar to cure all ills
from little grandma and big grandma
from groves and ashmores
and many relatives i really never knew
i am from a father who is a half hour early to everything
and a mother who took her time
from coffee that will grow hair on your chest
and from the golden rule
i am from Sunday morning meetings, Wednesday night meetings,
Gospel meetings,
four day church conventions held in tents,
from workers and beautiful Hymns
i am from the east side of town
from pot roast and mashed potatoes every Sunday
and Texas sheet cake for dessert
i am from a mother who loved cooking, the color blue, spider man and judge parker,
the ocean, and wore white shoulders perfume
from a father who has a nickname for everyone,
loves to read and writes wonderful stories,
loves coffee, and grows beautiful flowers
from a brother who was quiet, athletic, my friend
and sometimes the life of the party
i am from fading photographs, gifts made by hand,
loved ones who have passed,
treasures, singing and harmony, voices reading poetry
love and laughter...
i am from warm childhood memories
i first read something titled "where i am from"
and provided it for the rest of us to use
hope you enjoy creating yours!


14 comments:
What a beautiful sentiment on your life. You are such an amazing, beautiful person I am not surprised you have an upbringing full of beautiful memories and moments. Thank you for sharing. It just made me admire you even more, if that is at all possible :)
Mom, this is beautiful. I'm in tears...thank you for your stroll down memory lane and for helping remind me that you are not only my mother but somone who was once a child with adventures and memories of your own. :) "I am from" a lot of those things too. :)
I love you.
I love the poem this template makes, I will have to check it out, but the best part is learning new things about you! What a sweet way to collect and share special memories...
have a beautiful day my friend ~
Joni
Mom this is BEAUTIFUL!!! I am in tears too. I love hearing about the memories that make up YOU! Thank you for sharing this with us. Now I am going to have to see what I can come up with :)
wow mom...this is just beautifully written. i love what jamie wrote because that is just how i felt when i read it. you are so much more than "mom" (huge task that it is)...you are a dreamer, a child, a daughter, a writer and so much more. ilove hearing these things about you. i love you.
Fabulous I love this and love the picture love you~
Lovely, My dear! Funny you mentioned castor bean trees. We were just talking about them yesterday. As kids, we had no idea they were poisonous! When I was from the age of five to nine, we had a tree up against the back of our house that we always played under. When the stems that held the bean dried, it had a hollow center. We tried smoking them and they tasted horrendous! It's amazing that I lived to tell the story!
Okay soooo now I want to hear Vonda's "where I am from!. Smoking caster bean tree stems... I'm sure there is plenty more she could dish about herself :) Love you Auntie V :) :)
This made me cry reading this because it was so beautiful.
xoxo Nita
i love this mama! we should all do one.
it is a beautiful thing to share who you are and where you are from...so that we may know more about what makes up the essence of "you"!
Your memoir is beautiful! I'm so glad you wrote one...and judging by the comments, your family is too!
Oh....and my brother one time tried smoking a dry rag weed stem! I guess kids are the same where ever you are from.
Thanks for taking part in my meme...I hope to see some more participants soon. I'm going to add your link to my post, so others can enjoy it too.
Just for the record...I gave up all forms of smoking by the age of 10!!
This is just sooooo beautiful!!! It made me want to go back and edit my Where I am from!!!
I feel I know you, tht I have always known you -- and here, I have only read one post!
Thanks for doing this, and come and read mine!
Cora
Post a Comment