Tuesday, June 3, 2008

tuesday's treasure

when we lived in sacramento (1975-78)
my side of the family
decided that all Christmas gifts
should be homemade
we lived in an apartment there for a while
and many mornings
i would load jamie up in the stroller
and go to a little ceramic shop called
"sunshine ceramics"
and there i would create my amateurish little pieces
i made this for my mother
and she displayed it proudly
and when she passed away
my dad asked if i would like to have it
i said yes
"things" have so much more to them
than what is visible
they hold countless memories

10 comments:

Joni said...

LOVE your little "treasure" and I agree...the memories behind an object are what make them so sentimental...I can see why your mother was proud of this, it's adorable! It's funny to go back and look through photographs and see things you use to have and wonder what ever happened to that...it's good you were offered this, very thoughtful father you have there! I like the idea of having homemade Christmases...we've only done that once, but it was such fun!

wishing you a nice day today ~
hugs,
Joni

jessamyn said...

i didn't know you painted this mom! it is very sweet...
handmade gifting makes me happy!

Anonymous said...

I used to do ceramics in the early eighties...I only have one piece, an owl that I made for my Hubby's grandmother and my son got it when she passed away...he left it here when he moved out so I'm claiming it...LOL!

Your's is so pretty! That looks like a Pink Magnolia, which is what the blog I had before this one was called!

Hope you are having a wonderful day!♥

Annette said...

very pretty, you've got talent. I love to have things from the past, and knowing the meaning make them that more specail...my mom has a box for my brother and I and when she leaves this world, we each get our boxes and we dont know whats in them...I'm stinchy tho, amanda wants a few thing now that my mom has given me and I just cant part with them. it's getting warm again, o know....

Love to always
Annette

Anonymous said...

Never, never feel that way beautiful Kimberly. Your post made me happy for you dear one.
I just feel so deficient in my life.
I have tried very hard to make my kids feel special, and to be there for them like my parents weren't there for me.
It just hurts to be in the place I am in...
I look for Mother's everywhere I go..
My own Mom is so sad herself. She really couldn't help how she raised us. I truly believe that. But it dosen't stop from hurting.
And John understood... I am so lost without him.
Always know how much you have helped me.
Love Nita

cassie said...

i had no idea that you made that. it is amazing that after 31 years of life, i realize that it has all been about me. i would love to hear your stories mama.

Jeanne said...

I love all the sentiments you share.
Love you
Blessings
Love Jeanne

Annette said...

you silly girl.....you can wake me any time, it would be so worth it. are you dropping me a hint??????
Love ya
Annette

pchickki said...

Ok, I have paired off the ATC Father's Day Swap participants.

Nita - Vickie
Jeannene - Cookie
Nancy - Lori

Since there are 7 which is an uneven number I will be making one for each of you.

Deadline is of course Father's Day.
If you do not have Lori's address email me and I will send it to you.

Have a great day !
Patti

pchickki said...

Disregard my last comment. I was thinking you were a participant in the ATC Swap. If you want to be just let me know. I have an uneven number right now and could use another partcipant.
Thanks for the birthday wishes and for the support on being 60 !!
The golden years right?
Hugs :)
Patti