Tuesday, August 25, 2009

good for the soul

mattie stepenek

i was at jessamyn's yesterday
and she has a few of the books this wonderful gifted young boy wrote.
they truly are
good for the soul
if you ever need encouragement
read some of his words....

his philosophy on life:
"remember to play after every storm"

on being thankful
dear God,
i was going to thank You tonight
for a beautiful sunrise,
that was pink behind the fog down the hill,
and for a wonderful rainbow,
that i ran under pointing to
all my favorite colors,
and for such a great sunset,
that sparkled orange across the water.
i was going to thank You tonight
for all of these special gifts,
except that none of them happened.
but do You know what?
i still love You God,
and i have lots of other things
that i can thank You for tonight,
even if You didn't give those
special gifts to me today.
It's okay God,
because i'll look for them again,
when my tomorrow comes.
amen.
mattie stepenek "journey through heartsongs" november 1995
he passed away june 22, 2004

11 comments:

Sally said...

So beautiful and heartwarming. Thanks for sharing, Kimberly. ((hugs))

Annette said...

That gave me chills, and had me instantly thinking just how lucky I am and how Thankful I am, sometimes things are seen better through a child's eye. Thank you Kim for sharing and helping me open my eyes and see things differently and not take a rainbow, or a sunrise or a sunset for granted!
I LOVE YOU!
Annette

Joni said...

Very inspirational. I love to stumble across books that warm my heart - I'm fairly convinced it's but one way the writer has of living with purpose and seeing to it that it continues.

Love to you dear friend..I've been so busy, will blog soon. Tomorrow is a work day...*sigh. (One must be careful for what one asks for). I'm merchandising Hallmark cards - nothing that requires talent or deep thinking - which is good - I need to save that for when school starts up...it does keep me in caramel macchiatos though...*wink.

xoxoxo

Lori/RachelsMommy said...

Beautiful! I have a couple of his books too. I used them in the classroom when I was teaching. Now they are part of Rachel's Library. I saw him on Oprah or one of those shows...what an extraordinary young man he was...touched my heart...thanks for reminding me...Lori...

Jeanne said...

I loved that sweet young man
Oprah loved him too as did everyone
He leaves behind quite a legacy♥

Debbie said...

Thank you for that sweet message. It warmed my heart and grounded my soul. I have known of this boys story for awhile and it amazes me each time I think of him. Hope you are doing well. Love to you all, enjoy your day.

Jamie said...

i watched him on tv before he passed away....truly a remarkable human being with such a kind and inspirational soul. i need to read his words more often.....maybe that would help keep me looking up. :)

Joni said...

Just stopped by to say "Hi, Hello, How are ya?"


xoxoxo

Donna said...

What a beautiful post!!! Thank you for your sweet comments and prayers for my family sweetie!hughgus

Brenda said...

Such a beautiful and awesome post!!!

pchickki said...

Oh how heartwarming.
It is so important to NOT take the things we have for granted.

Hugs
Patti