Tuesday, September 16, 2008

cramping boomer's style

an article in our paper said that
boomers don't want to be called grandma or grandpa
they want a moniker
that reflects their feeling younger than past generations.
it said that while waiting for a grandchild
many sets of grandparents debate possible names for themselves.


i have often been asked how i became "nonnie"
but many have assumed that i am one of those ladies
who had a problem with being called "grandma"....
nothing is farther from the truth.
before our first grandchild arrived,
i really never even thought about what i would be called,
i just assumed i would be grandma.
however, when asher began to "talk"
he started calling me "na-ninnie"
why, i don't know, as i was always referred to as grandma.
as time went on, it changed to "nonnie"
and it just stuck.....and that is what i go by.
so....i didn't choose it, but i love it.
but i would have been happy
no matter what i was called,
had it been ninnie
or just plain ole grandma!

10 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love you.......
Love all you share.
Blessings
Jeanne

Annette said...

I think how your name came about is adorable...I wanted my children to call my Mom "va" thats grandma in portuguese but it never happend, instead they call her grandma, or when talking about her it's grandma Medeiros, even tho she's married with a different last name....funny how thing's dont change. I wonder now what my grandbabies will call me? time will tell???...... I hope you have excellent day dear friend.
xoxoxoxoxoxo
Annette

Brenda said...

Nonnie is a cute name. I let my first grandchild decide what I'd be called and he came up with Nanaw.

Sally said...

I have to tell you, Kimberly, and I've been meaning to for a while. When my daughter started talking, for some reason she began calling my youngest brother "Nonnie". You're only the second person I've known with that 'name'. :) For a while, I thought her kids were going to call him Uncle Nonnie. hahaha The funny thing, though, is that my son-in-law does!

I didn't try to persuade my oldest grandchild to call me anything in particular so when she came up with MeMaw, that was fine with me. I thought my little great-granddaughter was going to (and for a while she did) call me MaMo, but now it's MeMaw like the others.
It truly is special and funny the way names are chosen. My grandmother was about 5' 2", tiny little thing, and we called her Big Mama. hahaha

Have a great day!!

Karen M said...

That is so neat how that worked out. I don't have grandchildren yet. However, my married son and his wife refer to me as Grandma to their DOG! So at this point I'm guessing that will be my grandparent name.

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I am Nana..I love it that you are Nonnie.
I wanted to say Thank you for not giving up on me.
love nita

Jamie said...

Well, you're not just nonnie (although that seems to be what you go by all the time now)...you're still MY mom. :) Funny how that seems to take backseat once grandchildren come along! :) :)

Joni said...

I love the name "Nonnie" and it makes it even more special by the way it was chosen. I always wonder what my grandkids will call me. While I'm not quite old enough to be considered a baby boomer, I still would prefer a name that is unique...but early on, everything they say is unique! In my family we've had grandma, grandpa, granny, papa, and grandy and my nephew calls his grandpa "Honey" because that's what he heard as a child from his grandmother and it stuck. Names are fun!

jessamyn said...

i love how asher picked your name and that you didn't demand on them calling you something specific!
they love their nonnie very much.

Robin said...

my girlfriends grandbabies call her mumma-cupcake.....mumma is for mama and cupcake is her dogs name! LOL!