Friday, August 22, 2008

living simply

" to find the universal elements enough;
to find the air and the water exhilarating;
to be resfreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter;
to be thrilled by the stars at night;
to be elated over a birds's nest or a wildflower in spring-
these are some of the rewards of the simple life".
~john burroughs

this quote spoke to me when i read it in our newspaper this morning
and then, i happened to check jessamyn's blog before posting
and the thoughts she shared seemed to reflect a similar message.
it would be a great thing if we as parents and grandparents
would give a little time to visit these pages for info:
or to read Richard Louv's book
Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder
there is also an article in this month's issue of
Mary Janes Farm titled "See Jane Play....out you go!"

some of my fondest memories growing up
were of the many hours spent just playing......
swinging on rope swings, riding horses bareback in the desert
camping, fishing, walking to the zoo....just us kids
playing hide and seek, red rover red rover
jumping rope, double dutch
riding our bikes
being free to just be.

i hope life makes a u-turn
towards
simplicity.
but it
begins
with
us.

11 comments:

Sally said...

Oh my, how very true. Beautiful post. ((HUGS))

Annette said...

I so believe in what you wrote, I can remember playing Barbies with Joni on her front porch, or just walking like we owned the place, sleeping out side on chase lounges, and of course we did prank phone call's =), and I strongley believe it starts with us... Hug's
Annette

Brenda said...

I am so very, very, lucky that I still live in our country world where my children could, and my grandchildren do, enjoy all the same joys as I did growing up. They have fields to romp in, dirt and mud to play in, and can inspect all the critters they want.

Joni said...

you have my vote for simplification...some days I'd like to leave cell phones, answering machines, TV, GPS, and yes, even the computer out on the curb to be carried away...I remember as a kid sitting out on the front porch listening to the grown-ups talk, playing ditch in the orchards, and building forts in the backyard to sleep in...it's time to pay attention to the little things again...and appreciate sweet simplicity ~

wonderful post and gentle reminder to value the basic art of living ~

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

Love this post and the need to reach for the simple things that nuture us.

Love to you today, Phyllis

Webradio said...

Bonjour !

le torrent est très abondant en eau...

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie said...

So what should we do to make sure this happens?? Let's all move to the country with brenda!! :)

Karen said...

I love your post and this quote. It really expresses how it feels to enjoy nature. I agree whole heartedly with your love of simplicity and encouraging our kids to just be kids and love it as well.

Cindra said...

My son and I were out for a quick healthy walk the other morning and we saw a couple of bikes that had been left on the sidewalk. I looked around for the riders and saw a mom and her son on the other side of a tree. We went over to see what they were looking at so intently. They were watching a Cicada emerge from it's shell. The branches were filled with empty shells. It was a gross moment, but a wonderful moment, because they took the time to stop and look and see. As a mother and a teacher I was relieved to see this wonderful moment and share in just a minute or two.

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Great post my friend..Love Nita