this is the "BJ Flyer"......
handcrafted by my dear husband in 1973
this is also a fairly "young" foot

this is the same foot...thirty four years later
after walking barefoot for years, chasing children
aerobics, kickboxing, dancing (sort of)
a couple 10K's
stubbing toes, climbing stairs, fracturing bones,
standing for hours as a teller and a new hire trainer........
and now after a year of training and walking my first 3-Day
and one more year of training........and soon my second 3-Day.

did you know
achilles, the greatest greek warrior hero
achilles, the greatest greek warrior hero
gave his name to the strongest tendon in the body.
the average person walks about 160,000 kilometres
in their lifetime, enought to walk around the earth 4 times.
each step can put up to 4 times your body weight through your feet
which adds up to a cumulative force of over 500 tons a day.
there are 26 bones in each foot,
a total of 52 bones in both the feet
there are 206 bones in the body
which means more than a quarter of all
our bones in our bodies are in our feet.
there are 33 joints in each foot
over 100 ligaments hold all the joints together in each foot
20 separate muscles work individually and together to move all of these joints
“The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art.”

thank you feet, for the journey
i promise to give you some much needed
tlc.....soon!


7 comments:
mom, i LOVE this entry and these pictures. even with my small foot phobia, i love the artistic vision you took with this entry. same foot, yet not the same. they have truly bore the weight of the last 34 years of your life and deserve a tribute. hurrah feet! lookin' good.
Hey Kim, What a great post! I never knew all that stuff about feet. But I do know this...Your present day feet are much more attractive than that 1973 foot despite Bryan's art work!!!
Love ya....Pop.
Oh my aching feet! no wonder they give me so much trouble!!
i like this post mama. the human foot is an amazing instrument. in chineese medicine...health begins in the feet.
you take care of those footsies...they were made for walkin', yes, but not too much!:)
Wow...and to think how little we actually take care of our feet! I'm sure you are thinking a lot about them these days. :) I love the photo of the "BJ Flyer". It takes me back to thinking about you and dad as a young couple with hopes and dreams and I wonder if any of those became what your reality is today.
Love you!
I love this post. The body is an amazing thing. I have recently experienced a change in my feet and ankles! It is amazing how everything adjusts to be in sink with the rest of the body. That first picture gives me a visual of you and dad as hippies! I love it!
I enjoyed your post. It is truly amazing everywhere our feet have taken us considering their relative proportion to the rest of our body. Sounds like a good excuse to pamper them more! Thanks for dropping by my "Morning Coffee" blog. Stop by any time and share a comment or two! New friends are always welcome.
Post a Comment