Thursday, February 10, 2011

olfactory kind of gal


bryan has always described me as a pretty "olfactory" person
olefactory ~adj. Of, relating to, or contributing to the sense of smell

there are smells in this world that are just.... pleasurable


~books
~babies
~paper money
(i know i know...but i was a teller for many years...and opening my teller drawer...i loved the smell)
~ocean air
~rain
~smoke from a fire
~the crisp air when it snows
~pipe smoke
~mountain air
~coffee
~lavender
~certain perfumes
~a new baby doll
~sun dried clothing
~gasoline (again...i know)
~new crayons
~paint (i know)

just to name a few

olfaction has a powerful command over many behaviors, including memory.



a couple of days ago, a little sample of jergens lotion came in the mail.
i opened it up and used it and immediately the smell took me back
to when i was a little girl probably around 8 or 9
and i was grocery shopping at GovWay with my family.
my mother told me i could pick out some lotion of my very own.
i can remember being so excited!!
i picked out jergens original.......
an olfactory memory!
i have those a lot!


~i wore windsong perfume when i was in high school...and that is the memory it evokes to this very day (it DID stay on my mind)
~my mother wore white shoulders perfume and i always associate her with the fragrance
~there is a certain smell that i really can't describe any other way than saying it smells like red ants....and it conjurs up childhood memories of playing in the dirt trying to find magnetic shavings to use on paper like the Wooly Willy game.

some smells, i'm sure do the opposite and remind us of times not so pleasant....
but i'm thankful that i am an olfactory type of gal....
it has created a lot of wonderful memories i get to revisit again and again
what are some of your "olfactory memories"?

5 comments:

pchickki said...

What a great post!
Yes smells do bring back memories some good and some bad.

Jergens lotion reminds me of my Auntie Maxine. She always used Jergens.

Have a great weekend :)

Sally said...

I love this, olfactory girl!

The first job I had after high school, I sat next to a girl who kept Jergens on her desk, and used it several times a day. The smell was awesome! And, I'm sure she had the softest hands. :)

Donna said...

White Shoulders...My Mom always wore it.
Thanks Girl! Happy weekend!
hughugs

Joni said...

I love Jergen's lotion! Many scents take me back...and I can so relate to some of your *odd favorites. I used to like the smell of bus exhaust. Do you remember Rose Milk lotion? I had an aunt that always used that, even though I didn't particularly care for the scent, anything remotely close to it reminds me of her. Oil of Olay reminds me of my mom. Sense of smell is something to be thankful for...lots to experience!

xoxoxo ~

Jeanne said...

I love you my darling friend
Love and hugs
Jeanne