Monday, June 28, 2010

the art of mid-life


i have had several conversations with bryan lately about the term
"midlife crisis"
i see photos of people with motorcycles, tattoos, travel-trailers, hear of people on retreats,
travels, journeys....doing something new and adventurous, fun or creative,
and i hear/see them labeled as having a
"midlife crisis"
it seems to me that we have overused the term.
i got married when i was 20,
had our first daughter at 21,
second at 23,
third and fourth at 25 and our fifth child was born when i was 27.
that was my amazing life.

married life, working side-by-side with my husband raising five children,

trying to take care of their needs, wants, hopes, dreams, heartaches, and anything else that came along....and we took our life and our responsibilities very seriously.....and we have had the most wonderful/amazing/enriching journey sharing that for lots and lots of years......

so....

i guess i view it differently now

when something calls my name now

be it

harley riding, learning to hoop, wanting to be a bit of a gypsy, faraway places with strange sounding names, painting my fridge with a mural, buying an airstream and taking a major roadtrip, buying land and learning to live from it....at least raise our own food....and on and on.


point is.....i may never do half of what my soul might yearn to do...

but i think at this point in my life...

i should be able to choose to enjoy new experiences

without them being labeled a

"midlife crisis".


some have suggested using the term "midlife transition" and that you can
raise the odds of having a successful "transition" by doing whatever you have to do to integrate the lost parts of yourself.

look back and remember what you loved, what gave you joy, what your dreams were. that the next stage is identifying old parts of yourself that you've suppressed. those needs and desires can become very important at midlife.....the steps of relinquishing what was, reconnecting with yourself and having the courage and creativity to go forward.
just sayin!

8 comments:

Joni said...

I see no crisis in mid-life. I see the wisdom and courage to be the leader of one's destiny...I see new experiences as being those things which enrich our lives, make our laugh lines distinctive enough to inform others that we have lived and passionately so...by following that inner voice that says "why not?"

so my sweet sweet friend if you want to learn to hoop or ride off into the sunset on your Harley I can assure you that the only crisis to occur would be if you put it off. Just sayin...

xoxoxo ~

Joni said...

I forgot to tell you how much I love the new look of your blog! It's so you.

Annette said...

To me there is no mid life crisis, life every day can be a crisis, you soul just wants to have fun and I say do it, we only life once on this earth and life is meant to be shared with the loved ones by our side, and at the end of the one of the many journeys you & Bryan can sit and laugh about your adventure together in each others arms while sitting on the sand at a beach where that Harley had taken you, so DREAM IT, LIVE IT, AND LOVE IT!!

Love & hugs always~
Annette

Sally said...

I so love this post, Kimberly. For sure, we need to try and enjoy each and every moment. I've passed midlife, but have found it is good to try and find something to smile about at every opportunity. I think from the moment I "met" you, I could hear from your words that life is indeed a joy and blessing for you and your wonderful family.

Your new place here is GORGEOUS!! :)

Donna said...

I dislike the term too. Once you get to mid-life, the responsibilities lesson (particularly after you raise 5 children, LOL) and you can take the time to enjoy new things! Its like being a kid again and experiencing new joys!

kimberly said...

thank you all for your perspectives and uplifting comments....good to know there are lots of good flowing vibes on life out there!!!!
xoxo
kimberly

Jamie said...

i'm sure there were many "early life crisis" too with raising 5 children and all....;)
simply put...no matter what age, stage, or moment....it's just "life". make the most of it that you possibly can and seize each and every day in it! :)
i see no "crisis" in what you and dad and doing and the way you are living your lives....it makes me happy to see you both FINALLY doing things for yourselves instead of living your lives for the benefit your children as you've done for SO many years. :)

live it up!!! and enjoy the ride!! :)

Donna said...

Sounds like a Great time of life!!Hahaa...love the photo!!Hahahaaa
Happy weekend!
hughugs